THE CORPORATE SEAL
Meaning of Municipal Seal
The seal shows the different agro-industrial products of the municipality which are the main sources of income of its people. Farming is the primary livelihood of the municipality, with Rice as the main crop. Cattle, chicken and hog raising are the secondary means of livelihood.
Two (2) Circular Rice Grain
indicates unity and concerted efforts toward the development of the municipality and the preservation of its resources and culture.
derived from the provincial seal of Pangasinan where the municipality belongs.
symbolizes commerce and industry. The fifteen (15) sprockets symbolized the fifteen (15) Barangays that comprise the municipality.
from which the municipality derived its name.
Mapandan was first established as a “pueblo” by virtue of Director General No. 39 Administration Civil No. 169-C signed by Governor General Emilio Bravo on December 28, 1887. The town was originally comprised of the southernmost barrios of the town of Mangaldan namely, Payapay, Baloling, Apaya and Amanoaoac.
The idea of organizing a separate town from its mother town Mangaldan was first conceived by some ten (10) local leaders in the persons of Antonio Morales, Sabino Prado, Andres Bongato, Ambrosio Calimlim, Valeriano Tamondong, Tomas Aquino, Fulgencio Nato, Filomeno Sarmiento, Jose Lalas and Florencio Datuin.
The town was first centered in Barangay Torres. Due to its remoteness, the same was transferred to its present location, which was formerly a sitio of Apaya. The lands in the present location of the Poblacion were predominantly owned by the illustrious Aquino clan. It was Leon Hilario Aquino who encouraged the people to flock to the place by subdividing the land of the Poblacion into a lot of uniform sixes and offering these for three to each family head.
The outbreak of epidemic in 1903 hit hard the town Mapandan that resulted to depletion of population and many residents were discouraged and decided to leave the place thus likewise causes financial crisis in the municipal government. For this reason, Mapandan returned to its mother town Mangaldan in 1905 to 1908. In 1909, it was a progressive year for Mapandan and was again recognized and re-established by virtue of Executive Order No. 10, signed by Governor General James F. Smith.
The first site selected to be the center of the pueblo was the hilly terrain where lush pandan plants grew abundantly where the name Mapandan comes from meaning, “a place with many pandan.” In accordance with the national pattern of lay outing, the center of the town was the public plaza and church, and the “presidencia” or town hall. The town Mapandan was established and it was being called as “Torres” which is named after Fr. Jose Torres, the then priest of the church during that period.
There were no known records of those who served as the administrator’s during the existence of Mapandan as a town during the latter part of the Spanish regime. It was at the onset of the Civil Government under the Americans that Mapandan’s recorded history of the administrator’s beggar. From 1905-1908, the administration of the town was returned temporarily to Mangaldan because of an epidemic which causes depletion of resources. After the disaster, the town’s finances have improved whereby Mapandan was recognized again and became a municipality again. Since then, Mapandan used to be called “balon baley” or “new town” prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Municipality of Mangaldan
Municipalty of San Jacinto
Municipality of Manaoag
Municipality of Sta. Barbara
San Carlos City
Brgy Luyan (Luyan South)
Brgy Sta. Maria (Luyan North)